memories slideshow

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

paying it forward

A good friend organized a fundraiser for the victims of hurricane katrina, which was held this past sunday. The hope was that even though we are a small town, it would be a good turn out.

I was not in a position to contribute much financially at this time, so I volunteered to bartend and donated my tips back into the fund as well.

What a special day! So many people showed up, it was a beautiful sunny day, many people donated food and beverages for purchase, prizes for raffle, tipped us rediculously, danced to the bands who donted their time and talents - it was a caring community in action. I am quite touched by the way this little community comes together to support each other, and even more so to see them do it for those out in the world.

I think everyone had a great time and felt good about being a part of it, I sure did! As the bartender I got to see just about everyone, had practically a front row view to the bands, and felt like I had really helped.

It has been a long time since I worked that hard on my feet, and dealt with that kind of service and the pace it was at, but it was actually fun and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, so much so I wondered if maybe I missed my calling as a bartender. Heh heh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much did you make on tips?

it was just a matter of time before you got involved...

A.