memories slideshow

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

the extra large football game

At first, it was a little hard for me to get excited about a superbowl that did not include the Raiders, but I found reasons to support the teams that were going.

Seattle is near and dear to my heart, my Aunt and her family live there and I have visited many times. In fact, I was there visiting a few years ago when they demolished the old superdome, making way for the new one, which seems to have inspired the team.

And Pittsburg is a neighbor to the town where my Stepdad grew up, and he is passionate about the Steelers. My stepdad is a really cool guy, and there isn't much that he really gets excited about, so I was just excited for him.

So, I went into the game feeling like it would be nice if either team won, and it would be a little sad for the losing team. It was a decent game, and I was correct, it was good that the Steelers won and a little sad that Seattle didn't. But the real bummer, is how much controversy has been flying around since. I have seen many stories about how the rules need to change, that Seattle got robbed, that Pittsburg should feel a hollow victory, etc. Since I would have been happy either way, I feel impartial - yes there were some questionable calls, but I am not a referee and I don't have access to the video footage they do, so I have to trust them to do their best. It isn't good for anybody, to Monday morning referee. Instead, why not focus on how to make improvements going forward.

Like making sure the Raiders are at the Super Bowl next year - heh heh :)

No comments: