memories slideshow

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Things in my pocket

Recently, I have unconsciously started the habit of folding things up and placing them into one of my pockets, most often my jeans. By itself, this isn't so bad, especially when its money, it's like your washing machine becomes the magical ATM, but moments ago I made a grim discovery. I was placing my hands into my back pockets as I began a chat with a co-worker and my fingers encountered a papery substance that I then pulled out. I discovered a condensed wad of been through the machine pressed and dried pulp. At first, I chuckled and thought, "oh look, I have accidentally washed something!" and then the realization hit, "oh shit, what did I wash!?"

I conduct a fair amount of my side business networking in my non office hours, and often get potential client phone numbers and email addresses via small pieces of paper that are easily found to scribble quickly on. I do this so often, that I literally have absolutely no idea what or who may have been on this little mashed up wad. Just the deduction alone of trying to figure out, when I last wore these particular jeans prior to washing them will take many more minutes than I have in any given day.

A few times, when this has occasionally happened on the past, I have been fortunate enough to have been able to ever so carefully seperate the pressed sheets and if the implement was a ballpoint pen, recover what was written. The item I found today, sadly, is unrecoverable. The overwhelming feeling that I have lost something important is drving me a little crazy but the idea that I may let a client down or have lost precious business is just making me ill. Argh!! Yet another bad habit I must conquer! :O)

What really floors me about this is that I can't seem to get the most basic cleansing of the most superficial spots on my clothing in my washing machine, yet a carefully folded piece of paper trapped inside of two pieces of clothing comes out pristine.

Unfreakingbelievable!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live so to read these little events.

a.

:o)

Leslie Wilson Corsbie said...

What if it was a guy's number? The most fabulous, wonderful, guy. Oh well I guess you'd remember that, huh?
My mom always said "if it was important, you'd remember it" but I don't think that's true for our generation. We're used to storing mass amount of info. on computers; not our brain.
And it IS interesting that spots never come out, not even with fifty zillion stain removers.
And YES the dryer is a great ATM; I got $4 out of it today.