memories slideshow

Monday, March 28, 2005

Creekin'

Because of a major deadline and a business trip, I have been feeling lucky to get 5 hours sleep a night over the past few weeks and spent unbelievable amounts of time in the car and sitting in meetings. Which has resulted in the most acute desire to be outside and in motion.

I finally bought a pair of knee high rubber boots so that I could start hiking the gorgeous creek that runs through my backyard. We know that Native Americans roamed all over the land we live on, and many people have found artifacts. After a good rain is the best time to find things because the water loosens everything up and brings it downstream.

Just being out, on a semi sunny day was pretty cool all by itself, but I also found several pieces of abalone shell that are soooo beautiful and indicative of an old Chumash campsite. It was so much fun to explore, to imagine the people who lived here before me, to connect for a moment the past and present. Some people believe that Chumash means "Seashell People" and I definatley agree its very possible.

No comments: