memories slideshow

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Thar she blows

The whale watching has been absolutely incredible the past few weeks from our little beach. They have been consistently moving just offshore and are fairly easily spotted even when not breaching. You can tell when they are around because swarms of birds will flock around a spot of water suddenly and then you can see the tell tale spray of the blowhole and then you can see them breach...so massive yet elegant.

A few years ago, I took my nephew out to Monterey for 2 seperate whale watching trips with my nephew, and both times we did not see whales, nor dolphins, nor anything more exciting than a seal or two and he was so disapppointed. I remember one of the tour guides saying that it was hard to catch them out and about sometrimes. I never thought I would be lucky enough to live somewhere that I could walk just barely a city block and see them just cruising by.

Get out your binoculars and head to a California Beach on a migration path, if youre feeling brave - rent a kayak and go play!

1 comment:

Leslie Wilson Corsbie said...

That's awesome!! I lived by the beach in SB most of my life and rarely saw anything. I also went on a million whale watching boats and rarely saw anything but a spout in the far off distance. UNTIL Father's Day 2001, when on a whale watching trip in SB, I saw a zillion dolphins AND about 6 whale tails which felt close enough to touch!