memories slideshow

Monday, September 15, 2008

2 weeks in the pool and go Raiders!

So, every year since I have moved back here I have joined the annual "last man standing" football pool and every year I am out within the first week...so imagine my joy and surprise that I made it not only the first week this year but as of last night, the second week also! :) I am still standing!!!

It is a total of 50 players, I know that 13 went out the first week and I know at least two of my friends went out yesterday, so there is 15 less and I am pretty sure more than that must have gone out because there were a lot of close games yesterday that went against the odds. Though more likely that this is just some random streak of luck, there is an actual possibility I could end up in the top few and even win the pool, which seems utterly amazing, given my 5 year losing streak. This is second only to the glorious joy of the Raiders winning the game yesterday against Kansas City and even looking like a decent team a few times while doing so!

Rumors are rampant that Al Davis wants to fire Lane Kiffen, which is almost amusing being that most Raider fans would like to fire Al Davis! Lane Kiffen may not be dazzling me, but I hardly think he is the main issue at this point and firing him and bringing in someone new may cause us even more heartache, it takes a little time to mesh a new team and leaders. Yesterday's game was a good start, if they can build on that this season, and keep winning games and playing as a real team, wow this will be an exciting and happy season, if not then Raider fans are going to be very very cranky and Kiffen probably does need to find a new job.

I can't believe how much I missed football in the off-season and how happy I am to have it back! I watched 3 games yesterday, starting with the Raiders and hosting friends for a football brunch that was pretty tasty and lots of fun. I have to say the Seattle, Niner game was really entertaining, there were a few plays that had us all on the edge of our seats and at one point we realized we had made the same sound effects for a full 10 seconds as one of them played out. Giggles all around!

Perhaps the only drawback I can think of at the momet is that watching so much football we spent the bulk of the day inside and that seems a shame since the weather is absolutely perfect right now, clear, sunny and breezy, nicer than many of our true spring and summer days. I'll definitely be beach walkin' this afternoon! After so much travel, it is just nice and good to be home. :)

No comments: