memories slideshow

Sunday, October 24, 2004

random memory

When I was about 4, my Mom took me shopping for shoes. I needed 2 or 3 pairs, and I imagine money was probably pretty tight for my parents then. I got my little tootsies measured and tried on a few pairs. We bought 3 pair and went out to the car. Mama asked me if I liked my new shoes, and I said said "no", which caused my Mother to ask me a little irritatedley, "why not?"

I told her that the shoes hurt my feet, and she asked me incrediously, "then why did you tell me to buy them for you, Honey?" and I said "because I didn't want to hurt the salesman's feelings, he was nice and I think he really needed us to buy them."

I believe she took me right back in and got a bigger size, but that story is very important because it says a lot about me. It had less to do with his salesmanship and more to do with my odd ability to sense what other people are feeling, and I have always had a tough time tuning out others feelings, often even against my own best interest.

No comments: