memories slideshow

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

sailing

I went sailing on a 42 foot sailboat last sunday, a last minute invite. It was really quite something, and the detailed work that goes into the whole thing is a little daunting. I enjoyed it because I do love to be on the water, but somehow it left me with the feeling that it is not only not much "fun" to own a sailboat but also quite a bit of work and a very significant expense.

Part of this is that I go into what I call a "water coma" whenever I get on or near large bodies of water - I just get really quiet (yes, there are times I am quiet) and super relaxed, so the idea that I need to stay super vigilant and complete multiple tasks just doesn't jibe (excuse the pun). Another part is that the owner of the boat was a pretty serious fellow and I tend to think of being on the water as a recreatinal activity. It is cool that you could pretty much go anywhere, and that fuel is rarely necessary and it is its own little community. The jury is still out until I have more experiences, I think.

I learned a fair amount about how to sail, got to steer the boat for a while and met some really nice people. It was a really lovely sunny day, and I am grateful I got to spend it bobbing around.

No comments: